Thursday, August 16, 2007

Back from vacation with a renewed mission.

I returned to work this week feeling rested after my time off. Unfortunately, the rested feeling was short lived. The hospital was extremely busy with a large volume of acutely ill patients. Although the nursing staff was tired and stressed, they continue to provide superb care to our patients. I am always humbled when I watch the Infirmary's nurses deliver patient care in such a kind, compassionate, and professional manner. Summer vacation time on the nursing units always seems to bring to light staffing issues especially now in this time of a growing nursing shortage. I have renewed my dedication to researching, developing, and sharing strategies to effectively deal with the nursing shortage. I have started to read, From Silence to Voice: What Nurses Know And Must Communicate to the Public, by Bernice Buresh and Suzanne Gordon and I feel even more committed to our wonderful profession of nursing.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Linda,

Suzanne Gordon's work is wonderful! She is one of the most articulate advocates of nursing and, incredibly, is not herself a nurse. I recommend all of her work...by the way, did you hear the special excellent report on the nursing shortage that WBUR broadcast a few weeks ago? You can hear it here: http://www.insideout.org/documentaries/nursingshortage/

Glad you enjoyed your vacation!